Complaints & disputes

According to The Owners Corporations Act 2006 the Owners Corporation must have an internal dispute resolution process to handle complaints about breaches of the Rules, Act and/or Regulations. This must be sited prior to the Owners Corporation making an application to VCAT in the event the complaint cannot be resolved.

As an individual and as a member of the Owners Corporation you have the right to make an application directly to VCAT. 

VCAT has the authority to impose penalties for breaches of rules and make a wide range of other orders.

Download a copy of the Owners Corporation Complaint Form.